In fact, I wrote THAT paragraph over a week ago. I had so many things I was going to blog about, but just felt too lazy to type it all up. I spent about a week dealing with slumlords and ranting about moronic drivers (seriously, what is it with people not knowing how to use stop signs?!). I finished my last summer class. No more Humanities for this girl, which is incredible. Although the second was a bit more interesting that the first (WWII & the Holocaust vs. the Bible. Yeah, I think we all know which one wins on the interest scale), it's still a pain in the ass core curriculum that my pain in the ass school makes us slave over. I only have 6 classes left of my undergraduate career. Say a little prayer for me come August, because the last semester is going to be rough.
So my summer was a bit delayed, but it's all good now that I'm in Florida for the summer. Yes, it's hot as balls. No, I don't live near a beach. Yes, it sort of sucks. However, spending two months with my parents makes up for some of it. Although I'm not working this summer (last year I worked at a YMCA camp down here), I'm kind of glad to have to time to relax. Yeah, I could really use the money, but I've been nonstop since August so I think I deserve a mini break before heading back to school at the end of next month. Plus, the time off is allowing me to really focus on getting in shape.
My mom and I started the 17 Day Diet on Friday, and so far so good. I'm not a huge carb person anyways, so for me, it's really not that hard. The basic concept is that it's comprised of four different phases. The first 17 days is supposed to jumpstart your metabolism and the doctor who created the diet says it's normal to lose 10 - 12 pounds in those first 17 days. You can eat two servings of fruit, two yogurts (both before 2pm), lean protein (chicken, most fish, turkey), two eggs (eggwhites are unlimited), as many cleansing veggies (basically everything but starchy veggies like potatoes or corn) per day. I'll also eat a piece of cheese if I feel like I need a snack, especially if it's after 2 and I can no longer eat fruit for the day. Fat free cheese is okay to use, so my mom made chicken parm with fat free mozzarella last night.
The next phase alternates between phase one and introducing some whole grains into your diet. Obviously, you can't go balls to the wall and have five servings of pasta, but you can start to eat a serving of cereal in the mornings or whatnot. My mom lost 18 pounds doing it for a month and a half, so we'll see how it goes. I hope to lose around 25 by the end of the summer, but I will be happy with any weight lost. I'd probably be disappointed if it's under 10, though I don't see that being a problem.
I recommend checking out the book if anyone is looking for a way to get in shape. All of what he says makes sense and has changed the way I view food.
I've also been forcing myself to get up early (7:45, I'm not playing around) to exercise. I started Couch to 5k on Monday, thanks to the handy dandy iPhone app. Seriously. If you have an iPod/iPhone and want to start a running program, this is a great app! Although I only have an iPod so I can't use the GPS feature, it's still great. It tells you when to walk or run and syncs with your music. Best $2.99 I've ever spent! I'm also going to go to Zumba with my mom's friend three times a week. It's with a bunch of old ladies so it can't be TOO strenuous, but I did sweat a bit at the first class I went to. Better than nothing! I might check some other classes out as well.
Speaking of iPhone apps, another one I'm obsessed with is myfitnesspal (if anyone has an account and wants to be friends, leave your username in a comment and I'll add you!). It allows you to keep track of your diet and exercise each day. I think it's very helpful to see what I'm eating laid out in front of me.
No comments:
Post a Comment